My Pictorial Diary

A picture tells a thousand words, so I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Armed with nothing but a camera,
Take nothing but pictures,
Capture nothing but memories,
Leave nothing but footprints.

Saturday, 27 June 2015

SG50 @ Changi Airport – Wishes & Wonders (Part 2)



Saturday, 27 June 2015 SG50 @ Changi Airport – Aviation Memories (Part 1)


More SG50 Surprises — Birthday Wishes & Art!

Our little journey through Singapore's aviation memories may be over, but Aunty's camera wasn't ready to retire yet!

There were still more SG50 displays waiting to be discovered at Changi Airport Terminal 3, including a rather unusual wall made of luggage!

Aunty: Wah! So many suitcases! Everybody going on holiday ah?

Luggage: No lah, Aunty! We're celebrating Singapore's 50th birthday!

Aunty: Aiyoh! Birthday party also need to bring luggage?!

Luggage: We're collecting birthday wishes, not packing for a holiday!

Aunty: OHHH! Got birthday cake or not?

Luggage: AUNTY! You came to see the displays or attend a buffet?!

WAKAKAKAKA! Looks like Aunty's SG50 adventure was far from over!

Come, let's see what other surprises Changi Airport had in store! 

100 Luggages, 1 Big Birthday Wish!

From 15 July to 16 August 2015, visitors were invited to leave their well wishes for Singapore's 50th birthday on this special installation at Changi Airport T3.

Aunty: Wah! 100 pieces of luggage! Who's going on holiday ah?

Luggage: Nobody lah, Aunty! We're here to celebrate Singapore's birthday!

Aunty: Aiyoh! Then why bring so many bags?

Luggage: We're collecting birthday wishes!

Aunty: Got space for my wish or not?

Luggage: Of course! What would you like to wish for?

Aunty: Good health, happiness… and more places for me to walk walk look look!

Luggage: AUNTY! It's Singapore's birthday, not yours!

WAKAKAKAKA!!! Aunty nearly turned SG50 into her own birthday celebration!

And hor, there was a sign mentioning 30 well-wishers would win Samsonite Cosmolite luggage each. Wah! Write a birthday wish, maybe go home with a suitcase! Not bad leh!

But no...Aunty was not one of the lucky ones...

Not even ONE wheel ah?!

Aunty: Never mind the whole suitcase lah! Give me one wheel also can!

Samsonite: Aunty! What are you going to do with one wheel?!

Aunty: Keep as souvenir lah!

Samsonite: OI! You want to roll yourself home, is it?!


A Mountain of Luggage, But Nobody's Flying!

The SG50 Luggage Wall of Greetings was certainly an eye-catching sight, with colourful suitcases stacked together and birthday wishes attached to them.

Aunty: Wah lau eh! So many suitcases! Who's moving house ah?!

Suitcase 1: Nobody lah! We're celebrating Singapore's birthday!

Aunty: Then why are you all piled up like that? No space to stand properly, is it?

Suitcase 2: Aunty, we're part of an art installation!

Aunty: OHHH! So you're all famous now, hor?

Suitcase 3: Of course! Everybody wants to take our photos!

Aunty: Hmph! Don't show off lah! I also got camera, you know!

Suitcase 1: Then take our best side, please!

Aunty: Aiyoh! So many suitcases, all behaving like supermodels!


The Ferris Wheel That Refused Aunty!

Aunty sees a Ferris wheel, immediately want to climb aboard! But hor, this one carries SUITCASES, not passengers lah!!!

Aunty: WAAAAH! A Ferris wheel! Can I have a ride?

Ferris Wheel: Sorry! No passengers allowed!

Aunty: Aiyah! Just one round lah! I promise to sit quietly!

Ferris Wheel: NO! OVERWEIGHT!

Aunty: OIIII!!! You haven't even weighed me yet!

Ferris Wheel: Aunty, I'm designed for luggage, not humans!

Aunty: HMPH! Your suitcases also not exactly skinny, hor!

Suitcase: OI! Why suddenly drag us into your argument?!

Aunty got rejected by a Ferris wheel before even buying a ticket!

And look at those suitcases arranged around the glowing blue wheel! Quite a clever display, isn't it? Even the luggage got to enjoy a ride while poor Aunty had to stand there taking photographs!

Aunty: Never mind! I go find a Ferris wheel that appreciates my figure! ❤️


A Little Tag with a Big Birthday Wish!

Visitors were invited to write their birthday messages and well wishes for Singapore on luggage-shaped tags, then hang them behind the luggage structures. Together, these little messages became part of a massive collaborative artwork celebrating SG50.

Aunty: Aiyoh! So you're not just a pretty little luggage tag!

Luggage Tag: Of course not! I'm carrying birthday wishes for Singapore!

Aunty: Wah! Such a small tag, such a big responsibility!

Luggage Tag: So, Aunty, what's your birthday wish?

Aunty: Good health, happiness and many more wonderful years for Singapore!

Luggage Tag: Very nice! Anything else?

Aunty: Err… can also wish for a free Samsonite suitcase?

Luggage Tag: AUNTY!!! YOU AGAIN!!! 

Eleven years later, Aunty still thinking about that suitcase she never won!

I rather like the idea that hundreds of little wishes could come together to create one big artwork. A birthday card from everyone to Singapore! ❤️


Mr Merlion Goes Airport Hopping!

Aunty: HELLOOO, Mr Merlion! What are you doing here?!

Merlion: Aunty! I'm here to celebrate SG50 lah!

Aunty: Wah! You came all the way from Marina Bay?

Merlion: Of course! Cannot miss Singapore's big birthday!

Aunty: But hor, why are you still spitting water? Not tired meh?

Merlion: Aunty, this is my trademark!

Aunty: Aiyoh! At least take a break and drink some water lah!

Merlion: OI! Can't you see I'm already surrounded by water?!

Aunty: Drink lah, don't just spit everything out!

Poor Mr Merlion! Travel all the way to Changi Airport, still kena Aunty nagging about his drinking habits!


All Aboard! Luggage First, Passengers Later!

Aunty: Hello! Where are you two going?

Red Suitcase: We're boarding the plane, Aunty!

Aunty: Wah! So lucky! Can I follow?

Black Suitcase: Sorry, Aunty! This entrance is for luggage only!

Aunty: Aiyoh! First the Ferris wheel rejected me, now the aeroplane also?!

Red Suitcase: Don't worry, Aunty! You can take the next flight!

Aunty: HMPH! You two don't even have passports!

Black Suitcase: Neither do we need boarding passes! WAKAKAKA!

Aunty: OI! Don't show off lah! Later they send you to the wrong country!

HAHAHAHA!!! Aunty threatening the luggage now!

The display heading “The Journey of Your Bag” is quite an interesting way to show visitors what happens to their luggage behind the scenes at Changi Airport.

Our little SG50 outing is becoming a full airport adventure — without Aunty ever leaving Singapore!


Aunty Has an Artistic Side Too, Hor!

After all that luggage excitement, Aunty decided to give her artistic senses a little exercise by exploring the artworks on display.

Aunty: Hello! Don't think I only know how to walk walk and eat eat, hor!

Artwork: Oh? Aunty appreciates fine art too?

Aunty: Of course lah! I also know how to admire beautiful things!

Artwork: Then what do you think of me?

Aunty: Err… very artistic!

Artwork: Aunty! Can you be a little more specific?!

Aunty: OI! Art is about feelings mah! Must everything explain until so complicated meh?!


Flora Inspiration — A Giant Seed Pod!

Created by Singapore sculptor Han Sai Por, Flora Inspiration draws inspiration from larger-than-life seed pods and botanical structures, celebrating the beauty of nature through its intricate organic forms.

Aunty: AHA! So you're a giant seed pod!

Sculpture: That's right, Aunty! Inspired by nature!

Aunty: Wah! If I plant you in my garden, what will grow?

Sculpture: Aunty! I'm made of marble!

Aunty: AIYOH! Then even fertiliser cannot help you lah!

Imagine — a seed pod that never needs watering!


Calling All Durian Lovers — The King Has Arrived!

Even the King of Fruits made a grand appearance at Changi Airport Terminal 2! With its enormous thorny shell and bright yellow flesh, this durian certainly wasn't shy about showing off!

Aunty: WAHHH! Such a BIG durian! How much per kilo ah?

Durian: Aunty! I'm not for sale!

Aunty: Then can I have just one seed?

Durian: NO! I'm here for display only!

Aunty: Aiyoh! Look so delicious but cannot eat! What's the point?!

Durian: You can take my photograph!

Aunty: HMPH! Photograph cannot fill my stomach lah!

But Aunty has one question … if this giant durian were real, how many people would it take to finish it?!

And imagine somebody trying to bring it onto an aeroplane!

Airport Security: Sorry, sir! No durians allowed!

Durian: OI! But I already LIVE at the airport!!!


A Yummy Seat — Sit or Eat?

Aunty: WAH! My favourite! Durian flesh big enough to sit on!

Durian: Come, Aunty! Make yourself comfortable!

Aunty: Err… can I eat you instead?

Durian: OI! I'm a seat, not your dessert!

Aunty: Aiyoh! Such a waste of good-looking durian flesh!

Durian: Aunty! Are you sitting or eating?!

Aunty: Can I do both? Sit first, eat later!

Durian: HELP!!! Somebody rescue me from this hungry Aunty!

Aiyoh! Look at those plump yellow durian cushions! So inviting leh! But sit on them too long, later become durian pancake!

Imagine telling my friends, "Today I sat inside a durian at Changi Airport!" They'll think Aunty has gone completely bananas… or should I say DURIANS?! 🤣 


Eh? Haven't We Met Before?

Aunty: Err… excuse me, have we met earlier on?

Merlion: You must have seen my little brother!

Aunty: Little brother? Ohhh! The one spitting water everywhere?

Merlion: That's him!

Aunty: Then why you never spit water?

Merlion: AUNTY! This is an airport, not the sea!

Aunty: So? What's the difference?

Merlion: OI! You want me to flood the departure hall, is it?!

Aunty: Aiyoh! Just asking mah! No need to roar at me!




No comments:

Post a Comment