Tanjong Pagar Railway Station – From Catching Trains to Catching Memories (Part 1)
The Train's Last Line of Defence
Aunty: Hello, Mr Green Giant! What are you doing here?
Buffer: I'm here to stop trains, Aunty!
Aunty: Wah! Such a small fellow can stop something so BIG?!
Buffer: Don't judge me by my size hor! I'm stronger than I look!
Aunty: Then can you stop Ah Boy from dragging me out again?
Buffer: Sorry lah! I only stop trains. Your Ah Boy is beyond my capacity!
Aunty: AIYOH! Even railway equipment cannot help me!
Left or Right? You Decide!
Aunty: Hello, Mr Lever! What do you do?
Lever: I help trains change tracks, Aunty!
Aunty: Wah! So you decide whether they go left or right?
Lever: Correct! Very important job hor!
Aunty: Then can you change my direction too?
Lever: Where do you want to go?
Aunty: HOME LAH! Ah Boy has made me walk enough already!
Lever: Sorry, Aunty. Your track is still set to MORE EXPLORING!
Aunty: AIYOH!!! Even the railway equipment is on Ah Boy's side!
What's Behind Those Walls?
Aunty: Hello! Anybody hiding behind there?
Wall: Who's asking?
Aunty: Aunty lah! Why you got four numbered openings?
Wall: So everybody knows where to stop!
Aunty: Stop? I haven't even started exploring!
Wall: Aiyoh! You're not a luggage trolley, Aunty!
Aunty: Then can I go inside and kaypoh?
Wall: Your camera can look. Your feet better behave!
No Train Today, Only Memories
Aunty: HELLOOO! Anybody waiting for a train?
Platform: Aunty, you're a few years too late lah!
Aunty: Aiyoh! Then when's the next train coming?
Platform: No more trains, Aunty. I've retired!
Aunty: Wah! You retire already, still looking so handsome!
Platform: Thank you! At least somebody appreciates my old bones!
Aunty: Don't worry lah. Today I came to visit you, not catch a train!
Sorry, Aunty! No Entry!
Aunty: Hello, Mr Gate! Can open for me?
Gate: Where do you think you're going, Aunty?
Aunty: Just want to see what's behind you mah!
Gate: Sorry! This way is closed!
Aunty: Aiyoh! I came all the way here leh!
Gate: You can take my photograph.
Aunty: Then SMILE lah! KACHAK!
Gate: OI! I'm a gate! How to smile?!
Thank You for Keeping Us Sheltered!
Aunty: Hello, Mr Roof! Thank you for sheltering all those passengers over the years!
Roof: You're welcome, Aunty! Rain or shine, I was always here!
Aunty: Wah, such a hardworking fellow! Never take leave ah?
Roof: Cannot lah! Imagine passengers waiting for trains with umbrellas!
Aunty: Now the trains have gone. You can finally rest!
Roof: Rest?! Then who is going to shelter kaypoh photographers like YOU?!
Aunty: AIYOH! Say thank you also kena teased!
Did Anyone Stop to Look?
Once upon a time, travellers hurried through this station, rushing to catch their trains or eager to reach home.
But how many ever stopped to admire the surroundings? The trees, the greenery, the little details that had been there all along?
Look at those trees standing quietly beside the railway grounds, with the tall HDB blocks rising behind them. The world outside carried on while passengers hurried to catch their trains.
And you know what? I was once one of those hurried passengers too! Now I've returned with my camera and finally have time to look around.
Aunty: Hello, Mr Tree! Have you been standing here all this while?
Tree: Of course lah, Aunty! Where else would I go?
Aunty: Then how come I never noticed you before?
Tree: Last time you were busy catching trains mah!
Aunty: And today?
Tree: Today you've finally got time to say hello!
Aunty: Aiyoh… sorry to keep you waiting so many years!
The Little Flowers Nobody Noticed
Aunty: Hello, little flowers! What are you all doing here?
Flowers: Waiting for someone to notice us lah!
Aunty: Aiyoh! So many travellers passed by. Nobody said hello meh?
Flowers: Everybody rushing to catch their trains!
Aunty: Then today I say hello to ALL of you!
Flowers: Wah! Finally got VIP visitor!
Aunty: VIP? Who?
Flowers: Very Important Photographer lah!
Aunty: WAKAKAKAKA! Then everybody SMILE! KACHAK!
So Near, Yet So Far!
The railway station had its own little jungle waiting outside, but back when trains were running, passengers couldn't simply wander along the tracks to explore it.
And now, even during the open house, some of those lovely trees were still beyond our reach.
Aunty: Hello, Mr Trees! Wah, so many of you hiding over there!
Trees: Hiding? We've been standing here all along lah!
Aunty: Then come closer! I want to photograph you properly!
Trees: Aunty, we're TREES! How to walk over?!
Aunty: Aiyoh! Then how am I supposed to reach you?
Trees: Use your camera zoom lah!
Camera: OI! Everything also I must do?!
Aunty: Don't complain! At least you don't have to climb the trees!
When the Flowers Fall Silent
The flowers had fallen, but they hadn't lost their beauty.
Looking at them, I couldn't help thinking of the old railway station. Once bustling with passengers and trains, it too had reached the end of a chapter.
Aunty: Hello, little flowers… why are you all lying here?
Flowers: Our time on the branches is over, Aunty.
Aunty: Just like the trains that no longer come to this station?
Flowers: Yes… but that doesn't mean our story has ended.
Aunty: Then I'll take a photograph, so someone will remember you.
Flowers: Thank you, Aunty. Even fallen flowers have memories.
We've come out from the railway tracks onto a quiet, lonely road! 🍒
Look at those cracks in the old pavement, and all that greenery on both sides. Not a single soul in sight!
Even the road looks like it's enjoying its retirement!
Aunty: Hello, road! Why so quiet? Where's everybody?
Road: Aunty, I've retired lah! No more rushing here and there!
Aunty: Wah, good life hor! But why your face so many wrinkles?
Road: OI! You also won't look eighteen forever, right?!
HAHAHAHA! Aunty kena scolded by a road! 🤣
Aunty: Hello, little mimosa! Remember me?
Mimosa: Aiyoh! Aunty, don't touch me!
Aunty: Just one little touch lah!
Mimosa: OI! How old already, still so naughty?!
Aunty: Nobody watching mah! Hehehe!
Mimosa: Your camera watching, hor!
HAHAHAHA! Even the plants cannot escape Aunty's itchy fingers!
Aunty didn't stop at touching just ONE mimosa!
Four Guardians of a Bygone Era
Standing proudly on the façade of Tanjong Pagar Railway Station are four magnificent sculptures representing Agriculture, Commerce, Transport and Industry — the four main pillars of the Malayan and Singaporean economy during that era.
Each figure tells a story of the hard work, trade and progress that helped shape the nation.
Aunty: Wah! Four handsome gentlemen standing here for so many years! Not tired meh?
Industry: No time to rest, Aunty! I've got work to do!
Agriculture: And I've got crops to harvest!
Commerce: Business never stops, you know!
Transport: OI! Without me, how are you all going to move your goods?!
Aunty: Aiyoh, everybody so hardworking! Luckily I'm retired! I just take photos! WAKAKAKAKA!
Four silent figures, still proudly standing guard long after the trains have stopped running. A beautiful reminder of the station's glorious past.
















No comments:
Post a Comment